6 Ways to Make Garage Doors Greener04/30/2014 Back To Blog
People who have the opportunity to replace the existing garage door will find that today there are many options among insulated doors. Having insulated panels does not mean that they are 100% green but you'll certainly be one step closer to an eco-friendly door. The rumor that there are recycled garage door parts in abundance on the market is just a myth. You can certainly find some components made of recycled materials but it's not the rule. Your goal should be to turn your garage door as green as it can be because this way you will be helping the natural environment and you will be keeping your bank account intact.
Get as green as you can get
1. Metal doors are usually better insulated than other materials. The insulation materials are placed in between two layers of metal and can reach a high r-value efficiency, which is important for better insulation. Although wood door panels do not have a high r-value (they are usually around r-4), you can find wood doors made of composite timber and this would mean that they are more ecofriendly. Some manufacturers also use timber waste or manmade forests. Glass doors are insulated, too and since they allow the penetration of sunlight, they can help you cutting down from energy expenses.
2. You can get solar garage door openers. Instead of getting electric ones, you need to rely on the power of the sun. The energy collected from the sun within a few hours can last for approximately three days. These solar systems have a storage battery, which stores the energy of the sun in order to power the opener or for the cloudy days.
3. If you don't plan to replace the door now, you can add insulation materials using special kits on the market. The results may not be the same but you'll feel some difference until you are ready to replace the panel.
4. Make sure the weather strip is of high quality, the frames of glass garage doors resistant with retainers and the bottom seal replaced. There are many weather seals on the market but you might get higher insulation if you place retainers and insert the weather seal piece in them. It will also be easier to replace the seals.
5. Garage door repair is related to the Eco friendliness of your system because the smallest problem could leave gaps, which will compromise insulation. Small problems with some components or more significant ones related to the springs or damaged garage door tracks may have awful consequences. Not only the system won't work efficiently and reliably but the door may come off tracks or remain slightly open and this way you will lose energy.
6. When you paint the door panel, remember to use ecological powder coats. They are great for the environment and for your health. Don't forget that you'll breathe the toxicity of non-ecological varnishes and that's definitely not a good thing for your health.